Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Heat Wave: Day 2 - No Relief in Sight

Nothing like a hot streak to put the Absolute-Locks crew in the mood to recap our prognostication results to date:

Tuesday, June 30: 3 wins and 5 losses
Wednesday, July 1: 2 wins and 6 losses
Thursday, July 2: 3 wins and 4 losses
Friday, July 3: 5 wins and 3 losses
Saturday, July 4: In Meat Coma
Sunday, July 5: Still in Coma
Monday, July 6: 6 wins and 2 losses

TOTAL: 19 wins and 20 losses

So I am slowly creeping back to .500 and giving my readers ample opportunity to make their money back or even go cash-flow positive. Today will be no different as I offer analysis on a staggering 12 contests and even introduce my first ever Two-for-Tuesday game. That's right, a total of 13 different LOCK IT UPs to choose from. You can thank me later.

Before we get into the predictions, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge and thank the second registered follower of Absolute-Locks. Apparently, this gentlemen is labeled "Mark Borton's Friend" by Blogspot. In most situations, that is enough to have you forcibly removed from whatever situation/venue you find yourself in. However, at Absolute-Locks, that connection carries quite some currency. Not quite the value of a clam down on the Jersey Shore, but value nonetheless. So John Cahill, today we speak your name. Welcome to the jungle.

For your browsing pleasure, I present today's winners:

Cincinatti @ Philadelphia - Talk about having your swagger back. How does 22-1 work? Smart money says to keep rolling along with the Phillies and I'm nothing if not smart. The Reds offense was offensive last evening, doing nothing against Cole Hamels. Now, they get to face another young, tough lefty in J.A. Happ (5-0, 2.96). Philly (-142) rolls to a 5-2 victory. LOCK IT UP

Kansas City @ Detroit - I railed against KC's Bruce Chen his last time out and he pitched surprisingly well against the White Sox. I railed against KC's Gil Meche last night and he pitched surprisingly well against the Tigers. I don't expect to be wrong a third time when it comes to KC's starters. Chen doesn't belong in the majors, despite his effort against Chicago. KC stole a game last night against Detroit's pen. They should be content with that. Verlander will hit double digits in Ks and the Tigers will hit Jackie Chan, I mean Bruce Chen. Take Detroit minus 1.5 runs (EVEN) as they win 9-3. LOCK IT UP

Toronto @ Tampa Bay - As Stevie Janowsky might scream, TAMPA BITCHES! Big Game James, as in Mr. Shields, gets back to the comfortable surroundings of the Trop (4-2, 3.18 @ home) and the Blue Jays are trotting out a lefty with not nearly enough vowels in his name (Rzepczynski) for his major league debut. The Jays are now playing to their appropriate talent level after a fast start to the season and the Rays are gaining momentum in fits and starts. I like Longoria and Pena to rudely welcome Mr. Consonant to the bigs. TAMPA BITCHES! Give the Jays the 1.5 runs and collect @ +110 with the Rays. Rays roll 8-3. LOCK IT UP

LA @ NYM - Oh those Pets. They are a certifiable disaster. That beautiful new Citi Field deserves much better but those alarmingly unbeautiful Mets fans do not. And this is just what a struggling team needs, the Dodgers (with Manny) coming to town. I know Pelfrey looked great his last time out but consistency is not necessarily his strong suit. On top of that, I just don't see where the Metropolitans will get their runs with a AAA lineup facing Clayton Kershaw. This will be a nice little Two-for-Tuesday special (as in two winning wagers on one game). Take the Dodgers (-138) and take the under (8.5). LA wins 5-2. LOCK IT UP

Oakland @ Boston - I pulled the A's over BoSox upset out of my hat last night as Beantown made Brett Anderson look like a young Mark Langston. Tonight, I'm not thinking that Dana Eveland will look like anything other than a young, bad Dana Eveland. Match him up against Josh Beckett in Fenway and you get a -260 moneyline for the Sox. That's just a ridiculous line for making dough so we'll assume a Boston Massacre and take the Sox minus 1.5 runs at (gulp) -130. Red Sox trounce the A's 11-3. LOCK IT UP

Atlanta @ Chicago - I'm having a hard time ID'ing a winner here (though I'm leaning toward Chicago). With that in mind, I'm going to push my luck and predict another low scoring affair between these two. Javy Vazquez has pitched great lately and against the Cubs. Ryan Dempster is solid at home and against the Bravos. We'll go with the under (8.5) for a second straight evening. LOCK IT UP

Pittsburgh @ Houston - Nothing about these two enticed me last night and nothing has changed since then. No Interest = No Pick

St. Louis @ Milwaukee - This game, and this series, promise to be a real joy for hardcore baseball fans. Only a game separates these two in the standings and they don't really seem to care for each other. With Wainright and Gallardo on the mound, the under is very much in play here. That said, we're going to bet a team in this one instead. I love Gallardo and think he is on the verge of greatness. However, there is something special going on with Adam Wainwright at the moment. Plus, in a game that promises to be tight and low scoring, Fat Albert and Professor LaRussa tip the scales for me. Take the Cards (+125) and collect with a smile, 3-2. LOCK IT UP

NYY @ Minnesota - The difficult part of handicapping the Yankees (aside from being a fan) is that the moneylines are always widely skewed in their games. Exhibit A: Minny is 10 games over .500 in the Metrodome, have two of the best players in baseball and are a +112 underdog tonight. Regardless, I am still going with the Yanks and expect Sabathia to have a big bounce back start. The career numbers for Twin hitters against CC are atrocious. On the other hand, there is very little data for Yankee hitters against Scott Baker (though he has beaten them twice in two career starts). I'll take CC and the Bombers (-132) to continue their relative domination of Minny with a 5-2 victory. LOCK IT UP

Cleveland @ Chicago - It is really shaping up to be a Tuesday dominated by the favorites. This game will do nothing to change that. How could it? Jeremy Sowers has faced Chicago three times this year, lasting a total of 16 innings and sporting a line of 0-3, 6.75. The Sox have 9 (that is not a typo) regulars hitting better than .330 against Sowers this year, with five going at .400 or higher. Mark Buehrle does not have to be great here (he won't be) and the White Stockings will still prevail big. I'd take Chicago minus 1.5 runs (+130) to win, 9-4. LOCK IT UP

Washington @ Colorado - Here's a dog I can get behind (that didn't sound right). The former Montreal Expos almost delivered for me last night. Problem was that they couldn't score any runs. I love Jordan Zimmermann to give them another shot at victory tonight. The kid has a 2.12 ERA since the start of June. He is getting better with each start. I'll take the Nats (+120) to win this one 6-3. LOCK IT UP

San Diego @ Arizona - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. See Pittsburgh @ Houston.

Texas @ LAA - I really wanted to take the Rangers here to bounce back from last night's loss. Then I saw that they were starting some guy named Dustin Nippert. I'd feel better if Kenny Powers' brother Dustin was pitching. So you probably think I'm going with the Angels. Not so fast, turbo. Have you seen the career numbers for the Ranger hitters vs. John Lackey? Blalock, Hamilton, Kinsler, Young, etc. They murder this guy. With all this at work, there is only one bet to be made. Take the over (9.5) and thank me later. LOCK IT UP

Baltimore @ Seattle - I have to stop picking against the O's (one of my favorite AL teams). Yet, each day, I can't help myself. They face another tough lefty (Bedard) one night after narrowly avoiding a perfect game at the hands of Washburn. Sure Bedard is just back from the DL but what is Jeremy Guthrie's excuse going to be after the Mariners knock him around Safeco Field? Baltimore needs to get back to Maryland for me to start believing in them again. Seattle (-140) wins 6-3.

Florida @ San Francisco - You'll have to settle for the 12 games I've already picked. I've got no feel for this one at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment