Thursday, July 2, 2009

Houston, We Have a Comment

It is only fitting to begin today's communication with the acknowledgement of our very first fan. Actually, fan is likely not the right word. Perhaps adversary or heckler would be more on point. Regardless, we're pleased to have someone out there reading our nonsense. Let's just hope TheBigA isn't taking any of our gambling advice. A hearty thanks to you and we hope you keep coming back.

On to our favorite topic: America's Pastime. With the 4th of July just two days away it seems appropriate to take a moment to rhapsodize on the beauty of this country's finest treasure: Baseball. There is nothing in life quite as perfect as this game. Escaping the bases loaded jam. The hit and run single right in the hole created by the second baseman covering the bag. A streaking CF tracking down what was sure to be a gapper. Pitching changes to exploit a matchup that only blows up in the face of the manager. These are the simple pleasures in life and I hope you all get an opportunity to enjoy them this holiday weekend.

I have now delayed the recap of my picks as long as possible. Time to take the old medicine. I labeled Tuesday's 3-5 effort an embarrassment. So what description does that leave me for yesterday's 2-6 debacle, including an 0-4 afternoon session? Humiliating? Not strong enough. Despicable? Getting closer. I've got it: Emasculating. That is exactly right. Yesterday's returns feel as if I've been stripped of my manhood. Not good. Not good at all. So after two days, this experiment has yielded a 5-11 record, some broken furniture and a bruised ego. Alas, this shall be rectified. Today, I will reclaim my masculinity with a collection of winners. As I like to say about my strongest picks, LOCK IT UP!

There is an abbreviated schedule of games tonight with many AL teams taking the day off and two day games already underway. As such, I've decided to offer the readers a treat. I'll provide in-depth, can't-miss, prophetic previews of all 7 evening tilts. And there off:

Houston @ San Diego - I like the under (7). I really like the under, especially in this park, Both Wandy and Correia have pitched well this year but Correia has had the hotter hand as of late. The Padres sport an impressive home record and also fare well against lefties. Writing this has helped me talk myself into considering taking SD to win (-112) but definitely taking the under. Pads win 4-2. LOCK IT UP

Philadelphia @ Atlanta - This is another game that screams for the under (8). Javy Vazquez has been pitching brilliantly lately but has only one win in his last six starts (shame on those Braves' bats). Having him in the mound has not signaled good things for the Bravos and I'm not betting that is going to change tonight. Philly trots out J.A. Happ and his 3-0, 1.67 road split. They love to play away from home and will be looking to bounce back from a horrendous Cole Hamels start last night (I know the feeling Mr. Hamels). I think one of the Phillies big bats (Utley, Howard, Worth) comes up with a big timely hit in this one. Phils (+120) come out on top 4-1. LOCK IT UP

Seattle @ NY - Jason Vargas is the exact type of young, relatively unknown pitcher that typically gives the Bombers fits. The only Yankee who has ever seen Vargas is Cody Ransom and that was in the minors. However, that's not going to be nearly enough for Seattle. The Yanks are rolling once again (7 in a row) and turn to their ace to complete this sweep. The only thing that might help the Mariners is the weather in NY. In the summer of NY precipitation, the Al Rokers are calling for some more showers tonight. Yanks still win big, 8-2. Take them minus 1.5 runs at -135. LOCK IT UP

SF @ St. Louis - I've had trouble picking winners in this series so far (0-2) so I will go in a different direction with this one. Cards' starter Todd Wellemeyer is abysmal, even by my handicapping standards. The Cards' lineup has a number of guys who have historically murdered Barry Zito (exhibit A: Fat Albert - .556 2 HRs and 8 RBIs). Even though these aren't two prolific offenses (note last night's 2-1 extra inning affair), the pitchers put up no resistance against the over (9). Go high in this one as someone wins 8-5. LOCK IT UP

Milwaukee @ Chicago - I really like the Brew Crew and am a big fan of Ryan Braun. On the other hand, I can't stand this Cubs team. They are a bunch of underachieving mental patients. So I'm taking Milwaukee, right? WRONG. Cubs at home and Dempster at home are both big positives for the South Siders. Plus, I can't back a horse with Seth McClung on its back. Cubbies (-150) start this series on the right foot with a 7-4 win. LOCK IT UP

Chicago @ KC - This one seems so easy that it scares me. The Sox are finally clicking with 5 straight wins putting them over .500. The Royals are scuffling (what else is new). The Sox have the dependable Mark Buehrle taking the hill (note: Royals get exposed by lefties). The Royals hand the ball to Jackie Chan, I mean Bruce Chen (note: Sox expose lefties). Chen has failed to stick with such pitching powerhouses as the Baltimore Orioles, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros in recent years. Not exactly a confidence inspiring resume. Comfortably take the Sox at minus 1.5 runs (+115). The prevail 7-2. LOCK IT UP

Baltimore @ LAA - Cross country flight with no off day, check. Day after a major bullpen meltdown, check. Facing John Lackey who looks like he is finally healthy again and who has achieved much career success against you (6-3, 3.46), check. Opponent that is pissed after dropping the last two games of a crucial series against a key division rival, check. Mix this all up and it pours a tasty but wildly non-competitive game for the O's. Angels roll 6-1. Take the -1.5 runs here (+130). LOCK IT UP

1 comment:

  1. I'm just having too much fun checking the scores of your LOCK IT UP games. Again, the insight is impressive.

    I had a strange episode of both laughter and sadness as I tabulated the predictions. Starting out 0-5 again is amazing. I'm glad you came back strong with the last three picks. (I'm giving you the Angels, up 5-2 late in 7th)

    3-5 is certainly better than my last check in. I'm thinking about picking the opposite of every LOCK IT UP game and seeing how much money I can make.

    Regardless, thanks for keeping me entertained.

    thebigA

    ReplyDelete